Asia Program Assistant - Indonesia
Environmental Leadership & Training Initiative
The Environmental Leadership & Training Initiative (ELTI), a joint program of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies (F&ES) and the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI), seeks a talented and energetic Assistant for its Asia Program. ELTI contributes to the conservation and restoration of forest ecosystems and biodiversity in tropical regions of Latin America and Asia. ELTI achieves this by providing policy makers, individuals in technical positions, community representatives, indigenous leaders, and other key actors from relevant sectors of society with the knowledge, tools, skills, motivation, and contacts to advance the protection and adequate management of these systems.
The Assistant will be based in Bogor or Jakarta, Indonesia, but will be required to travel to field sites within the region, as well as to and from Yale University. The Assistant will be supervised by the Training Program Coordinator for Asia and work closely with the Leadership Program Coordinator.
Essential Duties of Position
- Support the Training Program Coordinator with course content and curricular development.
- Prepare all necessary equipment, materials and supplies for courses/events.
- Scope and ensure safety and quality of transportation modes, accommodation and other services hired during events.
- Maintain control of all equipment, material and supplies during courses/events and tend to course related logistics needs, including those of participants. Manage post-course logistics.
- Prepare and/or deliver short talks about relevant environmental issues and/or lead field trips.
- Support Training Program Coordinators to evaluate individual or group work projects and produce course/events proceedings and reports.
- Support the Leadership Program Coordinator with identifying and recruiting candidates for the program, as well as providing follow-up on their progress.
- Support the Leadership Program Coordinator by filtering requests for ELTI support and providing follow-up support to Leaders, including visiting their field sites and projects.
- Other actions that may be required for the successful execution of ELTI's training events, i.e. maintain contact list of partners, resource people and training alumni; attend relevant meetings, workshops, and conferences that may widen the network of contacts and/or help in curricular or program development.
- Manage training program accounting.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in natural resources, environmental studies or related field, and three years related work experience or equivalent combination. Masters degree preferable.
- Knowledge of environmental and biodiversity conservation issues in Asia.
- Experience in event planning and logistics management.
- Information technology knowledge preferable.
- Field experience and familiarity with Asia. Prior experience living and working overseas preferable.
Skills and Abilities
- Fluency in English and Indonesian is required.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work cooperatively with internal staff and external parties.
- Ability to work independently with limited direct supervision.
For more information about ELTI, please visit our website at http://environment.yale.edu/elti/. To apply for this position, please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining how you fulfill the education and training requirements for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 16, 2011.